The Alliance for Housing Solutions is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to increase the supply of affordable housing in Arlington County and Northern Virginia through public education, facilitation, and action.
AHS was created by civic leaders motivated by the belief that Arlington was rapidly becoming a community in which only affluent families could afford to live. Supporters believe in:
- Access to affordable, safe and decent housing for people of all economic backgrounds—including lower-income individuals and families with children, elderly people, and persons with disabilities
- Diverse communities, where people of different backgrounds and economic status can come to know each other and where children can be educated in schools which reflect the diverse world they will inherit
- Inclusion of public servants—teachers, police, firefighters, and other public employees—strengthening ties and building familiarity in the communities they serve.
- Livable communities, where family, commuting, and environmental stresses are reduced by access to public transit and proximity of homes to jobs.
- Greater public understanding and support for affordable housing initiatives
- County adoption of new approaches, based on best practices in other communities, to address the affordable housing crisis in Arlington
- Reversing the loss of both market-rate and committed-affordable housing units, particularly family-sized units in Arlington
- Collaboration on regional approaches to solve the affordable housing crisis