Deadline for submissions extended.If you have a project to submit (see guidelines below and submission form), email us (email@example.com) so we can keep you apprised of the new deadline. Our first gallery viewing is October 13, 2016.
Arlington County is celebrating Affordable Housing Month in October 2016 with a series of events (more on AHS's event here), community education and outreach focused on the theme of Missing Middle Housing. The Alliance for Housing Solutions is working in partnership with the County to present examples of missing middle housing designs to the community as part of this education and outreach.
What Is Missing Middle Housing?
The term can be defined in many ways, but for purposes of these activities we are primarily referring to housing types and designs with the following characteristics*:
- The scale of the structures falls in between single-family homes and mid-rise multifamily housing, and is generally compatible in height and bulk with single-family neighborhoods.
- Includes more than one dwelling unit per lot, such as a single-family home with an accessory dwelling (either internal or external), a condominium, or rental units.
- Smaller unit sizes and modest amenities have the potential to keep prices and rents down naturally, creating a more feasible housing option for middle-income buyers and renters.
- Can be built incrementally on small or modest-size lots without the need for large land consolidation.
* Please note that this is a working definition and may need to adjust as we continue to learn about these housing options.
For additional information about missing middle housing concepts please see www.missingmiddlehousing.com. The illustration below was created by Opticos Design.
Request for Examples
To better illustrate these housing types to members of the Arlington community, we are seeking submissions of sample missing middle housing designs to include in a gallery-style presentation for the general public during Affordable Housing Month. All submissions should meet the definition of missing middle housing described above. Each submission should include:
- High resolution exterior photos (at least 2)
- A floor plan showing general unit sizes and arrangements
- A lot diagram showing general unit placement with setback measurements
- Basic information on the dwellings (see the submission form)
Please see our Request for Examples--Missing Middle Housing and submit your examples to be considered for inclusion in the Affordable Housing Month Missing Middle Design Gallery.